Once upon a time an Indian writer named Amitav Ghosh set out to find an Indian slave, name unknown, who some seven hundred years before had traveled to the Middle East. The journey took him to a small village in Egypt, where medieval customs coexist with twentieth-century desires and discontents. But even as Ghosh sought to re-create the life of his Indian predecessor, he found himself immersed in those of his modern Egyptian neighbors. Combining shrewd observations with painstaking historical research, Ghosh serves up skeptics and holy men, merchants and sorcerers. Some of these figures are real, some only imagined, but all emerge as vividly as the characters in a great novel. In an Antique Land is an inspired work that transcends genres as deftly as it does eras, weaving an entrancing and intoxicating spell.
In an Antique Land by Amitav Ghosh
About SimonSimon is an actor who found his way into audiobook narrating as a side-gig and seems to have made a success of it. With some training as an actor as a child (just a couple of hours a week, but it stuck) and 15 years working inside the BBC (ending up as one of the presenters/newsreaders on BBC Radio 4 in London) he found the ideal combination for an audiobook narrator. Found his way to California a few years ago and never left.
Sign up for the Mailing List
Sign up to get the latest posts right into your inbox. Enter your email below and confirm and you'll be set.
The Latest Video
The latest video
"Simon Talks Audies 2013!"
can now be seen HERE
- New York Times Sunday Review – Feb 23rd, 2014 February 24, 2014
- Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice February 17, 2014
- When Shadows Fall by Paul Reid February 14, 2014
- The Keys to the Realms by Roberta Trahan February 10, 2014
- The Hidden Child by Camilla Läckberg February 3, 2014
- I do… No, really, I DO! November 20, 2013
- Time of the Wolf by James Wilde September 8, 2013
- The High Druid’s Blade by Terry Brooks January 13, 2014
- The Story of Music by Howard Goodall January 20, 2014
- The Other Story by Tatiana de Rosnay January 26, 2014